Sunday, April 3, 2011

Always Being An Example For Christ

There has been something that I have been thinking about lately.  Many people wear cross necklaces, rings, etc.  But is it just for show?  Or are they truly exemplifying Jesus in all their actions in the manner in which the cross would represent their behavior lining up with His behavior?

What do I mean by this?  Well, say you have your cross necklace on, and are out and about doing errands.  You are in a hurry, and anyone who sees you can tell that you have no time for anything else than to get what you need done and get home.  With only a half hour to spare to pick up a few items at the grocery store and get home and make dinner, you see an elderly woman in the parking lot who is clearly struggling to carry her groceries.  Hunched over with grocery bags and a purse in tote, she looks at you and gives you such a beautiful smile, and you give her a quick smile back and head for the door.  Before you reach the door, you could hear the woman say, "God bless you, young lady!", which is when you realized that she probably noticed the cross dangling from your neck.  Then it dawns on you what you learned in Bible study about always being an example for Christ.  At this point, you can tell that God is nudging you to stop rushing and help her.  So, you turn around and do what you knew you should have done in the first place.

I am sure you can think of other examples as well.  This was the first example that came to my mind, because even though this scenario has not happened to me, I can relate, because I am always in a hurry when I do errands with our almost 3 year-old daughter.

Are you always attentive to your surroundings?  I know that I need to be more aware of my surroundings when I am out on His mission field.

Have you ever caught yourself in a situation where Jesus would not be smiling down at you for your actions while wearing the cross that He died on to give us life?

Who are you representing?  Yourself or Jesus?

Please share some of your thoughts with me.  And always remember to check your motives, and make sure they line up with His Word.