Monday, March 28, 2011

Vitamin Deficiencies

Before we had our first child, I had health issues from anxiety to lethargy to others that I cannot think of at the moment--I still deal with many of the same health issues to this day.  Back then, my health issues were somewhat manageable, because it was not to the point where it was debilitating. 

Looking back in retrospect, I believe that many of my health issues stem from malnourishment and vitamin deficiencies during my college years--I was not the epitome of great health.  Like most college students, I did not eat healthy at all.  I ate Ramen Noodles, which I do not even like the smell of now, and other unhealthy foods as well.  There were even some days where I would not eat much at all.  Money was tight, and I worked hard for every penny.  Being a full-time college student, working full-time, paying rent and utilities, and other bills takes its toll on you.  Thankfully, I had a woman--who I call my second mom--who looked after me during my college years!  She was my guardian angel, and I thank God for her.  I know He put her in my life for a reason.

Due to all the pressures of life back then, I seeked medical advice.  The doctor had me on many different medications, one of which was Paxil.  The doctor prescribed Paxil due to the amount of stress I was under.  At the time when I took Paxil, I was getting ready to graduate, get married, move, working full-time, etc.  I believe that the Paxil wreaked havoc on my body, along with all the other medications.  I was on it for about six months, and then stopped taking it cold turkey about a month before our wedding, because I no longer had health insurance.  The doctor did not inform me that I needed to gradually decrease my dosage until I was no longer taking it.  It was after our wedding that I started not to feel well, which gradually snowballed to the point where I am today.

When my husband and I found out I was pregnant about four years after we were married, we were estatic!  For the first month of pregnancy, I felt good, and then it went downhill.  I experienced anxiety; heart palpitations; I was not hungry; my hair and nails would not grow like a normal pregnant woman's does; etc.  The good thing was I did not have any sort of morning sickness or nausea.  The only time I was nauseas was after I had the flu shot--I am not sure if flying caused me to be sick after I had the flu shot.

So, for nine months, I did not feel healthy, even though I might have been to a certain degree.  The only thing I could bank on were the good pharmaceutical grade vitamins I was taking daily.

After I had our daughter, I had severe postpartum issues, and was not going to take an anti-anxiety medication for it--I just prayed that God would get me through it.  What made it more difficult and hard on my body was the fact that I was breastfeeding.  And even though I was taking great prenatal vitamins, I was not eating enough, even though I tried to eat as much as I could.  I was deadset on breastfeeding, though, because I knew how bonding it is, and I was not about to give her formula.  I remember crying every time I fed her, because I kept thinking about how fast she would grow up.  To this day, I still have a hard time thinking about how fast a child grows up, but cope with it a lot better than I did.  But for 15 months of breastfeeding her, I have wonderful memories, and not-so-wonderful memories that only entail how I physically felt--the last day that I breastfed her was very sad for me! 

I believe that everything happens for God's glory, and that I went through my struggles to get me to where I am today.  I yearn for Jesus more than I ever did, even though I grew up a Christian.  I can honesty thank God for my struggles, because though they were trying times in my life, I grew closer to Him.

I am happy to say that I am more health conscious and in-tune with my body than I ever was.  I know how to better address my health issues, and have a better sense about nutrition than I did.

I hope I help anyone who reads this who might be struggling with some of the same health issues.  Hang in there!