Sunday, May 1, 2011

What Are Your Earthly Treasures?

Today's sermon at church was geared around the scripture, Matthew 6:19-20, which says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destory, and where thieves do not break in and steal."  Life is not about the bumper sticker that states, "Whoever dies with the most toys wins!"  We all know that the toys we obtain on earth will not go with us to heaven.

Many people are looking for the next best thing in life that will bring them happiness (i.e., a bigger house, a new car, etc.)  But according to the Bible, that is not what life is about.  We should base our happiness on what is stated in Matthew 6:21, which is, "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Those people who base their treasures around their possessions will never have enough, and will always want to aquire more.  Those who love money will never have enough--read Ecclesiastes 5:10-15.  Our passion should be geared toward using our money and time to the good of others.

The Pastor mentioned ways you can use your money, time and resources to helping those in need.  Since I am a big advocate and have a huge desire for missions or serving those in need, I liked the one bullet point that the Pastor talked about on coordinating an emergency supplies drive for the people who lost everything from the devastating tornado that hit in Tuscaloosa, AL--supplies that can be used are blankets, food, etc.  So, tomorrow I am going to call our church office and inquire on how I can coordinate that.  I am fortunate enough to have not lost my family, house, and possessions through such a tragic event.  And if I can give a little of my time to bringing relief and a smile to someone's face, then to me, that is better than any gift or amount of money I could ever get!

Please share with me ways that you can use your money, time and resources to the better of others.  And always remember to honor God with your possessions.